From dressing up to trick-or-treating, Halloween is one of our favorite holidays to experience with our kids. Here are some weekend-friendly DIY projects that are as easy as they are fun—and guaranteed to keep your little ones busy!
These edible Frankensteins from Kelly Senyei at A Little Taste are an accessible and low-mess way to get your little ones in the kitchen. They’re a fun favor for a Halloween party, or a great weekend project.
- What you’ll need:
- Green Candy Melts
- Small pretzel rods
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Candy eyeballs
- Edible red and black markers
- Lollipop sticks or colorful straws
- Push lollipop sticks or colorful straws into marshmallows.
- Melt green candy melts, then dip marshmallows in completely. Allow to set.
- Dip the tops of coated marshmallows into melted chocolate.
- Decorate with pretzels, eyeballs, and edible markers.
For more detailed instructions and the original recipe, head to A Little Taste.
Photos by A Little Taste
Mini Mummy Piñatas
You know that old adage “one man’s trash is another’s treasure?” These mini mummy piñatas from Vanessa Brady of Tried and True take everyday materials you’d ordinarily throw away, and turn them into something celebration-worthy.
- What You’ll Need:
- Toilet paper tube
- Googly eyes
- White crepe paper streamer
- Double-sided tape
- Scrapbook paper (or another heavy cardstock)
- Baker’s twine
- Assorted mini candies and toys
- Stretch streamer over one end of the tube, and seal with double-sided tape. Now you can fill your piñatas!
- Lay a piece of string over the open end of the toilet paper tube. The middle of the string should be across the center of the tube.
- Stretch another piece of streamer over this end, but leave ends of string out. Secure streamer with tape.
- Bring ends of string together to form a loop, and secure with tag. This forms a little handle that kids can pull to open the piñatas.
- Decorate with more streamers and googly eyes.
For more detailed instructions and step-by-step photos, head to DIYCandy.com.
Photos by DIYCandy.com